Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Glacial Trail 2024

 


We’ve all had those moments. Where we hear about something or we see something, and immediately we think, “I want that.”

Well, that happened to me several years ago. I was waiting for the start of a local trail run. While huddling in the Greenbush Fire Station, where the event starts and finishes, the race director announced that one individual had earned a “500 Mile Blanket”. This runner had run a cumulative total of 500 miles of this particular event, over multiple years, and at that exact moment, I said,  “I want that.”

The Glacial Trail Run is the local trail race, put on by the Badgerland Striders Running Club. There is a bigger, more popular trail run every Spring, called the Ice Age Trail 50, and this event, traditionally held the 2nd Sunday of October, here in the Northern Kettles, is a smaller, more rugged ‘sister’ of that event.  When I first heard about it, I had just discovered trail running, and did not even realize that it had existed, let alone so close to home, until stumbling upon it in an old running forum in the mid-2000’s.  The fact it was on the local Ice Age Trail right near us, and was in October, had me interested immediately. 

I first ran it in 2010, and have since run it 12 times.  On 3 occasions I’ve taken on the 50 mile route (which goes from Greenbush to New Fane and back), and the other 9 years I’ve done ‘just’ the 50 kilometer run.  If one finishes in the top 5, they earn a pottery cup award.  I proudly display them in Room 5 at my office, having earned 11 of them in 12 years.

2014 was my first attempt at the 50 Mile run, and I ended up winning it, and was lucky enough to run across the finish line with Edwin and Estelle.  This year I took on the 50 Miler again, and while the weather was a bit less ‘photogenic’, we were able to recreate that finishing photo, with Emerin along as well!  And I even managed to have the same bib number for both years!

So, how about that blanket?  Well, as I was running the event last Sunday, I was doing math in my head.  It’s probably not a good idea to try arithmetic while running for over 8 hours, but once I finished running and calculated out the numbers…I still have at least 2 more years of Glacial Trail Runs to complete before I earn that 50 Mile Blanket.  Goals are important—both short term and long term—and I will get that Blanket…the process has been 15 years in the making!

No comments:

Post a Comment