Wednesday, November 13, 2024

Estelle and Jack


 

There are moments in time, where you realize just how thankful you are for the chance to be there.  For me, one of those moments was the first Saturday of November, when I was at my daughter’s horse show.  While my son was actually running at the State Cross Country championships (he qualified as a Freshman!), I couldn’t be at both places, and my Saturday was spent at Sundance Horse Farm.

Estelle has been riding horses, and Jack specifically, for 6 years now, and it is truly amazing to watch them work together.  When she first started, she could literally walk underneath him and barely duck.  And I had to work through a lifelong fear of horses, as well as learn about horses.  I had a LOT to learn. 

In those early years, I can recall being at the office and having a patient asking me “what kind of horse” Estelle had. 

I answered, “A brown one.”

When I later told Estelle this story, she corrected me.  “He’s not Brown.  He’s Bay.  The color is Bay.”

As I said, I had a lot to learn.

Fast forward to last Saturday, and I am truly amazed at how far she has come, and how much confidence and knowledge she has gained.  A wise man once told me that, “there’s something about a horse that is really good for a little girl” and he is totally correct.  I am in awe of Estelle and Jack and last weekend took it to an entirely different level.

Estelle entered 5 classes.   She ended up winning Blue Ribbons in 3 of them, and a Red Ribbon in another.  And here’s a fun story about that 2nd Place Ribbon:

That was the “Parent Lead” competition.  In this class, a parent actually rides the horse, and the student leads them around.  I was not aware of this entry, but gladly joined in and enjoyed my time on Jack…right up until I was informed that I’d need to answer a question about Jack.  As the judge approached, my shoulders slumped, but I smiled at Estelle, who was looking up at me eagerly.

The judge had been instructed to “keep the questions relatively easy”, and when the judge looked up at me and ask her question…I couldn’t help but smile. 

“What color is your horse?”

I smiled and enthusiastically answered, “Bay!”

Later on, Estelle earned a 1st Place Blue Ribbon in the “Medal Equitation over 2’6” Fences”, which was absolutely incredible to watch.  She had to memorize a ‘course’ through the arena, jumping over fences in a specific order.  I am so thankful to have been there to witness that.  I’m so thankful I was there!

Later that afternoon, Estelle said, “I’m really proud of myself.”

Me too, Estelle.

 

Is there anything more a parent can ask for than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment