Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Marji Gesick 2024

On the morning of September 16th, 2023, I crossed the finish line of the Marji Gesick 100 Mile Run, which, due to Yooper Math, was actually 109 miles.  I had finished in 25 hours and 36 minutes and had earned $1 for being the first finisher, and also a belt buckle for finishing in under 28 hours. 

 

It was the most difficult event I've ever attempted, and I was overwhelmed, thankful, and exhausted at the finish line.  Waiting at the line when I crossed it was Tara, who congratulated me, hugged me, and gave me that belt buckle.  Later on, Todd arrived and gave me an 'autographed' 1 Dollar Bill.  Tara and Todd were known as the Good Cop and Bad Cop of the 906 Adventure Team, which is the organization that puts on events in the Upper Peninsula, including the Marji Gesick.

 

I had trained more for that event than any of the previous events I had ever done, and was more nervous for it than any previous running adventure I had attempted, besides maybe my very first marathon...when I truly wondered if I could possibly run 26.2 miles...all in one single effort!

 

I had always seen running as a challenge.  It posed problems that must be solved, and taught lessons that you would expect, but it also taught unexpected lessons as well.  Sounds like life!

 

I read somewhere recently that "Problems aren't the problem.  The solution to the problem that you choose...can be the problem."  And, obviously, "Life" is a nonstop source of problems.  For too long, one 'solution' I chose to solve problems was alcohol.  In fact, I continued to choose alcohol to help me solve problems long after it had stopped really working as any kind of solution at all and in fact was just worsening problems. 

 

And I realized exactly this, on an entirely different level, during those 25-plus hours while running the Marji Gesick.  In fact, I crossed that finish line as pictured above, and I felt such a sense of accomplishment, that I could not help but think about other life problems and how I should address them and solve them as well.  As I've said in previous articles...it's never too late to start over.

 

I haven't had a drink since September 14th 2023, the day before I started the Marji Gesick 100.  And I haven't regretted for a single moment the elimanation of alcohol as a 'solution' or coping mechanism in my life. 

 

Life continues to provide problems that need to be solved, and I continue to screw up almost daily in trying to solve them, but I'm so thankful--thankful beyond words--for the last year (a leap year with an extra day at that!) without alcohol. 

 

Earlier in this article, I mentioned that Tara and Todd were the "Good Cop & Bad Cop", and you may have noticed the past-tense verb in that sentence..."were".  Tara tragically lost her life in a car accident last January.  The 906 Adventure Team lost much more than their "Good Cop", and while I didn't know her very well...I did know her from that finish line, and I never have forgotten that moment.

 

It may be cliche...but more often than not, Cliches are true.  Don't take today for granted.  It's a gift, and that's why it's called the present.  It's not too late to start over, to try again, to make today different.  Take advantage of that opportunity.  Now.

No comments:

Post a Comment