I was recently asked in my office if some post-adjustment therapy was 'really needed." In this case, it was a physical therapy modality that helps relieve muscle tension and provides some pain relief. It isn't an uncommon question, and one that I also receive when it comes to adjustments in general, and maintenance care adjustments in particular.
My initial reply is always that, "You don't need to receive any care at our office. Everything you get here is because you choose to receive it."
When this common question was asked this time, however, it had me thinking a bit more. What, in life, do we need to do? And, what do we choose? I think the 'needs' list is quite short. Food, Water, and Shelter. We need those things to live. The old adage that we "need" to pay taxes, isn't actually true. You don't need to pay taxes. If you choose not to, then you'll be incarcerated (where you receive your food, water, and shelter)...or maybe you can just run for public office and avoid the taxes that way also.
Just a joke! Please don't send angry emails.
Personally, I have a list of things I do every day. Some of them are 'needs'. Others are definitely choices, but all of them have an end goal of a higher quality of life. So before we get back to chiropractic maintenance care, here are some of the things I do daily, where the 'want' of doing them is in a gray area with the 'need' to do them.
- I pray every day. It is almost always a prayer of gratitude.
- I try Wordle every day. It's fun, it's quick, and it exercises my brain and vocabulary, both of which I hope to always be growing. Today I extended my Wordle streak to 264 consecutive 'wins'. (I am pretty sure I just jinxed day 265)
- I run, walk, or hike at least one mile outside every day. This streak started on January 1, 2024 and has included some pretty crazy weather, travel, and personal illness days...but I've managed to keep the streak alive. I'd say the most difficult day was when I needed to get a mile in at about 11:30 PM on January 20th, 2025, after unexpectedly spending my Monday evening in the ER with my parents.
- I haven't drank alcohol in 654 consecutive days. This one choice, made one day at a time, has been the most rewarding and influential decision I've made. It's definitely a choice that is made daily, but it's one I made willingly and need to continue to make daily. And the rewards of an alcohol-free lifestyle for me make that choice an easy one, to be honest, and for that I'm very, very grateful.
- I try to write in a "One Line A Day" Journal. It sounds so simple...just put down a line about your day in reflection of it, in a journal. I have a journal that has 5 years worth of Daily Lines available...it'll probably take me 15 years to complete the 5 year project, but I will keep working on it. Perseverance!
So, back to "Maintenance." Just like seeing your dentist before your teeth hurt, and getting your oil changed and the tires rotated on your vehicle before the lights come on or before you're on the side of the road with a flat, the benefits of Maintenance weigh the odds in your favor in terms of a higher quality of life in many ways.
Maintenance care in chiropractic refers to ongoing, periodic visits to a chiropractor after an initial course of treatment has addressed acute symptoms or specific musculoskeletal issues. It's aimed at preventing the recurrence of problems, maintaining optimal spinal function, and promoting overall wellness. Sometimes the visits are every 2 weeks. Sometimes they're every 2 months...it's an individual choice. Why choose it?
1. Prevention of Relapse
Helps reduce the likelihood of recurring pain, especially for chronic conditions like low back pain, neck pain, and headaches.
Studies show that maintenance care can significantly extend pain-free periods for patients with recurrent issues.
2. Improved Spinal Health and Function
Keeps the spine and joints mobile and properly aligned, reducing the risk of degeneration or injury.
Supports better posture and flexibility, particularly important for those with sedentary jobs or repetitive strain.
3. Enhanced Physical Performance
Regular adjustments can improve range of motion and coordination.
Athletes often use chiropractic maintenance to stay at peak performance and prevent injury.
4. Early Detection of Issues
Routine visits allow chiropractors to spot and address minor issues before they develop into significant problems.
Like dental cleanings or physical exams, it’s part of a proactive health strategy.
5. Reduced Need for Medications or Invasive Treatments
Some patients find they can avoid pain medications, anti-inflammatories, or surgery by staying ahead of issues with regular chiropractic care.
6. Better Quality of Life
Many patients report improved sleep, energy, and stress management with ongoing care.
It's part of a holistic approach to wellness, complementing exercise, nutrition, and other lifestyle habits.
Little changes and little choices add up. Start making some today!
No comments:
Post a Comment