Tuesday, July 29, 2025

Ouray 2025

 Hello from Leadville! I'm writing this column from the "City on a Hill" coffee shop in Leadville, where I'm staying at the moment and trying to acclimate to elevation in preparation for the Ouray 100 Endurance Run, an event that starts Friday, July 18th. It's called a "Run"...but it will be much more of a hike. In fact, considering 50% of the event is uphill, I can guarantee I will "run" less than half of it...probably closer to 25%. But, I have 52 hours to complete the 100 miles (actually, 102 miles) and will take the approach that "Forward is a pace" and do my best to continuously move forward.


I have prepared for the event possibly as well as I could have, living in Wisconsin, and arrived in Colorado last Friday with Eddy to acclimate, explore, and climb some mountains. In fact, yesterday was the last 'big' training session, and Eddy and I summited Mt. Elbert, Elevation 14,440 feet, the highest point in Colorado.


As we approached the summit, several hikers coming back down warned us of the weather. Sure enough, upon reaching the top, there were storms in several directions. Despite that, the weather at the summit of Mt. Elbert was absolutely perfect, and I found myself getting quite emotional at the moment. I've dreamed of moments like this, and sharing it with Eddy was something that gets dust in my eyes right now sitting in this coffee shop.


As the storms moved in closer, it was time to get going back down, unfortunately. "Ugh, I don't want to leave!" said Eddy at one point, with a smile on his face.


"Well, this is the perfect opportunity to share one of my favorite nuggets of wisdom, Eddy. You can't live at the mountain top...you can only visit. The growth happens in the valley."


This morning I also received an email from the race director of the Ouray 100. It contained a lot of great information, but the underlying theme was the following: Prepare yourself for anything, and expect the unexpected. Here's the Race Director's weather forecast for this weekend: "It will be hot, moderate, cold, sunny, cloudy, rainy, haily (is that a word??), windless, and windy–we just can’t tell you the order or duration."


Add in the fact that now there are wildfires quite close to Ouray, and that's another variable. Nonetheless, I am optimistic, excited, and, yes, a bit scared, of what Friday and Saturday (and perhaps Sunday) have in store for me. I still am not sure how I'll react to the elevation, especially when I'll be exerting myself for well over 24 hours. I am unsure of the weather and air quality. I could roll ankle badly, or have some gear break at an unfortunate moment.


But that's where that idea of 'growth' comes in. I can control what I can control, and I can accept the variables out of my control. I am the absolute most confident in the crew that is coming out to support me. I am very confident that I trained as well as I could in the months leading up to Friday. And I have taken care of my body, through nutrition, rest, chiropractic, and avoiding as best as I can unnecessary stressors (including the fact I have been free of alcohol for 22 months!).


I receive many responses and reactions to these kinds of adventures, and why I do them. Some people are impressed and inquisitive. Just as many see this as a WOMBAT (Waste Of Money, Brains, And Time). And my answer to exactly 'why' changes, and is never a complete answer...but one thing I think we can all relate to is that in life we can weigh the odds in our favor.. We are granted the 'pursuit of happiness' and purpose, and gratitude and perspective is gained through difficult times. In planning and preparing and challenging myself, I am much better prepared for difficult times that I don't get to choose.



So, here's to your next adventure as well! Look to weight the odds in your favor through your health via Nutrition, Exercise, Chiropractic, and Mental/Emotional/Chemical Stress Management, and I'm here to help...well once I'm back from this Colorado Adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment