Monday, August 19, 2024

3 Running Questions


Ten years ago, Eric Mathes was kind enough to write a column in this paper about several running accomplishments I had completed in the summer of 2014.  I had just won the Marquette Trail 50k in the Upper Peninsula, and later in the fall of 2014 I ran (and won) the Glacial Trail 50 Miler in Greenbush, WI. 

Since then, I’ve returned to Marquette on several occasions, including the last two years to run the Marquette Trail 50 Miler, of which I’ll be running this Saturday!

Last September, I finished my first 100-mile run (which was actually 109 miles) in the Upper Peninsula, and last month I completed something called “The Crusher 50NFR”, which stand for 50 Mile Not Fun Run…and it was actually 59 miles.  Something about Yooper Math…

As you probably know, and if you’ve been to my office you’ve seen the ‘decorations’, I’ve been running for a while.  My first marathon was in 2004 in Chicago, and I’m now approaching 100 events of marathon distance (26.2 miles) or longer.  I often say that I do crazy stuff to maintain my sanity.  I often get asked common questions as well.

So, I'd like to address the "3 Most Common Questions I Get Asked About My Crazy Running Habit":

 

1.  Why?

I often hear, "I don't even like to DRIVE that far!" when I share that I choose to train for and run these really long distance miles.  The short answer to this question is..."It's complicated."

I have always been competitive and thrived on sports.  After leaving college and entering chiropractic school, it became more difficult to find those competitive escapes in terms of rec leagues or other "pick-up" games of basketball, football, etc.  I also told my sister, Kathy, that someday I wanted to run a marathon with her.  We ended up signing up for the 2004 Chicago Marathon and finished in 5:15.  From that moment, I began to wonder...could I break 5 hours?  4 hours?  Could I run a time fast enough to qualify for the Boston Marathon?

And, so it began.  I found competition among myself and the clock.  I also found competition in terms of how far I could go.  I eventually discovered the Ice Age Trail in the Kettle Moraine, and fell in love with being out in the woods.  So, "Why?"  I guess it's because I have found a passion for it, and what the world needs is more people who find passion for something in their life.  I love the simplicity of running in shoes, socks, and shorts, and a watch. 

2.  What Do You Think About?

If I'm simply out on a run, I'm thinking about all kinds of things.  I very rarely listen to music.  Occasionally I'll listen to a podcast.  But most of the time, I'm just thinking about my day.  What do I have to get done?  Any big issues need to be addressed?  What stress is bothering me?

It may be difficult to understand, but when all you have to hear is your feet touching the ground and your breath going in and out, it brings clarity to that space between your ears.  Things often are much clearer when you've applied some physical fatigue to your body.

Now, if I'm in a race, my mindset is different.  For most big events, my mindset is alternating between 'taking inventory' on how I am feeling at that moment physically.  Do I need to take in more water?  Do I have enough calories?  Any cramps starting to show up?  Any sore spots (or, worse, chafing) starting to show up?  While racing, I'm also keeping an eye on the other runners.  This is about competition and it's a race, after all!  Am I in the lead?  How does the form of another runner look?  Am I pushing too fast too soon?  Or could I run a bit faster?

3. Do You Eat?

If I am running for less than 3 hours, it's not likely I would eat or drink anything besides water.  I actually don't normally take in a whole lot of food in longer races, either, but I probably should.  Some of my ‘favorites’ are Coke, Ginger Ale, Iced Coffee, and Chicken Noodle Soup or Chicken Broth.  Why Ginger Ale and Coke?  I'm not sure why--it's probably the sugar content--but it just hits the spot when I'm tired and running low on energy.  Two hours before the race, I normally take in about 300 calories of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins mixed together.  I use this to kind of 'top off the tank' so to speak.

One of my favorite parts of running is the fellow crazies you’ll meet as well!  In fact, you don’t need to look too far in Kiel and you’ll find a couple of them out there! 

As I mentioned earlier, find something that lights a fire in you!  If it's running, or some other form of exercise, I'd love to help you make sure you're feeding that fire in a way that's sustainable and healthy.  If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to contact the office...

Happy Trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment