Monday, July 8, 2024

Practices in Patience

 Last Sunday was spent at my son's 4th day of a baseball tournament.  His first game was at 8:00 which meant we were on the road by 6:30 to get to Belgium for warmups and the game.  After winning that game, we headed back to Plymouth, picked up my daughters, and then attended 10:30 church, Eddy in his baseball uniform--but he did trade out his cleats for crocs.


Immediately after church we were heading back to Belgium for the next game, also a win.  That put the team in the Championship game, scheduled for 4:45.  Of course, you know how these things work...and the game started at 6:15.  This provided an opportunity to practice patience!  The time was spent chatting with the other parents (I will miss these moments!), and also playing catch with my daughters.  As I mentioned...patience!  While great progress has been made in their throwing abilities, there is plenty of work to do as well.


 Eddy was also scheduled to play in 2 summer league basketball games in Manitowoc at 7 and 8 pm that night, and I had planned accordingly to go straight there from Manitowoc.  Alas, the schedule didn't work out as planned, and basketball was missed after the championship game ended at 7:55 with a 10-9 loss.  Eddy had a hit, was hit by a pitch, and walked in his at bats, and all in all it was a great weekend of baseball.

 

The kids and I headed home, grabbed some food, and then I gave them some specific instructions. 

 

"When we get home, I'd like each of you to change out the clothes you're in, put on pajamas, and then bring down all of the dirty clothes in your room so I can start laundry."

 

They were all on board with this plan, it seemed.

 

Well...Emerin came downstairs in pajamas and with her dirty laundry.

 

Estelle came down in the clothes she had been wearing all day, but with the other dirty laundry from her room.

 Edwin came down in pajamas, but left his dirty laundry upstairs.

 

Another opportunity to practice patience!

 

I was tired by this time and a bit irritated...but I chose to just laugh at the whole scenario.  The youngest child completed the task...good for Emerin!  As for the other two...well, it was a baseball weekend and 1 out of 3 gets you in the hall of fame!

 

I definitely need to take the approach, in moments like this, to start by laughing.  Take a breath, and just move forward from there.  Life is simpler that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment