Wednesday, April 3, 2024

For What It's Worth

 

I have a quote framed and hanging in my kitchen.  I had forgotten it was there until a couple weeks ago, when I was reminded of the idea of ‘starting over.’  And despite the fact that I walk past this framed quote every time I feed the cat or change laundry, I had forgotten of its presence.  It was a good reminder to notice it, and now I try to read it every day before I leave the house. 

So, what’s the quote? 

“For what it’s worth: it’s never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the courage to start all over again.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald


My favorite part of the quote is the sentence about “making the best of it or the worst of it.”  And obviously there are multiple options in between.  But life isn’t about what happens to you.  It’s about how you respond.  Whether it’s a reflexive response (one you can’t control), a reaction (one you don’t think through), or a genuine response (one where the outcomes and benefits and risks are evaluated), it is up to you to choose the correct action to make the best of it. 

This works with your health as well!  When you get sick, or injured, how do you respond?  Obviously first and foremost we want to move away form pain and feel better…but beyond that superficial relief of pain, what can we do to address the underlying source of the problem? 

That’s where chiropractic can help!  And nutrition, and exercise, and the other services an office like mine can provide.  I’ll be honest…when it comes to pain relief, I can’t really compete with a steroid injection or pain pills. At least, perhaps, in the short term.  However, with shots and pills, there are side effects, and often the shots or pills affect your entire body and daily life and only dull the edge of the pain, rather than specifically address the pain at its source. But, when it comes to addressing the underlying problems and fixing those, so that you’re healthier, and not just in less pain?  That’s my wheelhouse.



So, read that quote again.  Whatever happens today, avoid a reflex or a reaction, and think of how to respond.  Start over if needed.  It’s allowed.  And make the best of it.  And if it’s your health that needs a fresh start, in whatever way that’s the case, then call our office and let’s talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment