"When I have experiences like this one with her, it’s such a
strong reminder of why I got involved and why I do what I do. We have a great bond. It gives me an indescribable feeling of
gratitude."
That’s a quote from
Amanda R., a “Big”, after taking a trip with her “Little” on the S. S.
Badger.
What’s a “Big” and
a “Little”, you ask? They’re a mentor
and a child involved with the Big Brothers Big Sisters. It’s an amazing group, and one that truly
changes lives in our community.
You may not have
the time to volunteer as a “Big” but you can still contribute to this great
organization…and burn a couple calories in the process. This Saturday, I invite you to join me at the
22nd Annual Sleigh Bell Run/Walk in downtown Kiel. Last year was the biggest year on record for
the run—both in number of participants and in fundraising amounts!
The Run/Walk has 2-mile and 5-mile options,
complimentary refreshments at the finish, and there are "Riesterer
Reindeer Games" for the kids.
The "Dasher's
Dash" (a 100-yard run) and
"Rudolph's Run" (a 1/4 mile run) will take place right around
11:00 am after the run/walk.
Children are
invited to participate in the Riesterer Reindeer Games! Riesterer Reindeer
games are free of charge. However, if your child would want an official Sleigh
Bell Run/Walk T-shirt, please fill out a registration form and pay the entry
fee on Saturday morning. Awards will be given out to all participants.
The "First
Saturday in December" is one of my favorite Saturdays in Kiel. It’s a great event with so much holiday
cheer, and the more, the merrier!
In addition to Big
Brothers Big Sisters of Manitowoc and Sheboygan Counties, the Sleigh Bell also
benefits the Kiel Cross Country program.
I’ve worked with this program personally and can attest to the positive
benefits it has to our little town as well.
Research has shown
that those who walk regularly have reduced rates of heart disease, asthma,
osteoporosis, obesity, type 2 diabetes, stroke and some cancers. It also improves circulation, increases bone
strength and reduces cholesterol.
Walking can also be one of the easiest forms of exercise to fit into
your day for those who are pressed for time.
Walking is great
for overall health, but those who want to lose some weight can benefit
too. According to the American College
of Sports Medicine, walking at a reasonable rate of three miles per hour burns
221 calories an hour, and walking at a brisk four miles an hour burns 334
calories per hour.
I’d love to see you
out there! And…I promise some Wonderful
Wisconsin Winter Weather! You can sign
up in the Kiel Middle School Gym on Friday from 6:30 - 8:00 pm, and Saturday morning,
starting at 8:00. The 2-mile and 5-mile
events begin at 10:00 AM.

No comments:
Post a Comment