Monday, July 20, 2026

The Importance of Vitamin D



 When it comes to health and wellness, I believe strongly in 3 Essentials: Mobility, Nutrition, and Stress Management. All three have huge impacts on Inflammation, which is what controls your body's ability to heal. If your body doesn't heal well and remains chronically inflamed, then it ages faster than you want it to.  


I could go on and on about each of these 3 topics, but today, I want to focus on the essential supplement when it comes to Nutrition. I am a strong proponent of nutritional supplementation, but I also believe it should be exactly that...any supplement you take should supplement an already solid diet and nutritional approach.


As for supplements, there are a lot out there, and there are a lot of opinions on them. My first question to anyone who asks me about any supplement is, "Do you take Vitamin D yet?"


Often, the answer is no. Or, the answer is, "I think there's some of that in another supplement I take."  


Either way, I almost always tell the patient that they need more Vitamin D...even in these summer months.

Vitamin D plays a vital role in overall health, supporting everything from bone strength and muscle function to immune system regulation. While many people assume that summer sun exposure automatically provides all the vitamin D they need, research has shown that deficiency and insufficiency remain surprisingly common, even during the warmer months. Modern lifestyles often limit direct sun exposure, with many people spending much of their day indoors, traveling in vehicles, or working in offices. When they are outside, sunscreen, protective clothing, shade, and shorter periods of exposure can significantly reduce the skin's ability to produce vitamin D.


Another factor is that vitamin D production varies greatly from person to person. Age, skin pigmentation, geographic location, time of day, cloud cover, and body composition all influence how much vitamin D the body can manufacture from sunlight. Individuals living in northern states, including Wisconsin, may have fewer opportunities to generate adequate vitamin D levels, even in summer. In addition, people who are diligent about protecting their skin from excessive ultraviolet exposure—a wise practice for reducing skin cancer risk—may unintentionally limit vitamin D production.


Maintaining adequate vitamin D levels year-round can help support strong bones, healthy muscles, balanced immune function, and overall well-being. Low vitamin D levels have been associated with increased risk of bone loss, muscle weakness, fatigue, and a variety of other health concerns. Because symptoms of deficiency can be subtle or absent, many individuals are unaware that their levels are less than optimal. Regular monitoring and, when appropriate, dietary sources or supplementation can help ensure that vitamin D status remains adequate, even during the summer months when people often assume the sun alone is providing all they need.


I can give you example after example of how making this simple change in your Vitamin D supplementation will provide almost immediate relief of varying symptoms you may have. If you want to learn more, you know what to do...contact our office!




No comments:

Post a Comment