Monday, April 27, 2026

Sunshine and Laser

 The days are getting longer, and while it has certainly been wet enough around here we still need to get outside at every chance and soak up this Springtime sunlight! For me, it simply changes my mood. And there's a lot of science behind the reason for that!

Sunlight is a broad-spectrum environmental input that affects the body on a systemic level. It contains ultraviolet (UV), visible, and infrared light, each of which plays a role in human physiology. Of particular importance is UVB radiation, which triggers the skin to produce vitamin D. This vitamin is critical for immune function, bone health, hormone regulation, and many other processes. In fact, I suggest everyone supplement with Vitamin D even if you do get a lot of sunshine, as it is that important to so much of your body's ability to self-regulate and also heal itself!  


Beyond vitamin D, sunlight also helps regulate circadian rhythms, influences mood through brain chemistry, and contributes to cardiovascular health through mechanisms like nitric oxide release. In other words, sunlight acts as a global regulator of multiple body systems rather than a targeted treatment.  


At our office, we have another version of "light therapy" as well.  MLS laser therapy and sunlight with vitamin D are often compared because they both involve light interacting with the body, but they function in fundamentally different ways. MLS (Multiwave Locked System) lasers are clinical tools designed to deliver very specific wavelengths of red and near-infrared light into targeted areas of tissue. These wavelengths penetrate relatively deeply and stimulate cellular activity—especially within the mitochondria—leading to increased energy production (ATP), reduced inflammation, and pain relief. The effects are localized, meaning they are focused on a specific injured or inflamed area rather than influencing the entire body.


As more and more people try out the laser at our office, it certainly does not replace my suggestions of chiropractic, exercise, and time outside. But, it has, over and over, worked some miracles on people who have had nagging pains or conditions that have tormented them, sometimes for years!


Jo Ann started laser after being told that she would need a 2nd hip replacement. Her pain was unbearable and she could barely get out of bed and walk. After 6 sessions Jo Ann saw a 90% improvement in her symptoms! Jo Ann says “I’m so grateful for what this laser has done. I do not want to get another hip replacement and I’m walking so much better. I recommend this treatment for anybody who is in pain or told they need a joint replacement. If I hadn’t done this, I’d hate to see where I’d be at.”


Want to learn more? Get a hold of our office and let's discuss not just the Laser, but also your nutrition, your exercise abilities, your goals, as well as your muscle and joint function. The days are getting longer...let's get you enjoying them more!

No comments:

Post a Comment