First of all, Merry Christmas to all of you!
While time continues to fly, and I don't want to rush it any more than it already rushes, this is the last article before we ring in 2026, and that means many of you are considering a New Year's Resolution. I was thinking about those resolutions while recently listening to an episode of the Joe Rogan Experience podcast, featuring Jelly Roll. For those unfamiliar with that name, Jelly Roll, (born Jason DeFord) is a Grammy-nominated American country/rock/rap artist known for his raw lyrics about his troubled past, redemption, and faith, rising from a life of crime and incarceration to become a chart-topping musician with hits like "Son of a Sinner" and "Need a Favor," inspiring many with his story of transformation, even testifying to Congress on anti-fentanyl efforts. In fact, one of my favorite songs that I heard in 2025 was "Winning Streak". It's a powerful song about addiction and low points, and asking for help.
One thing that Jelly Roll said in the podcast really stuck out to me. He said that "you will grossly overestimate what you can do in 90 days...but underestimate what you can do in a year.
This is so true! It's especially true when considering New Year's Resolutions. Set goals that won't lead to discouragement early on. Set goals and resolutions that are sustainable within the framework of your daily life. Small and sustainable changes are the best and most effective...and think of the long game, not the short game. As he said, think about where you'd like to be a year from now, rather than a month from now. Jelly Roll, in fact, has lost about THREE HUNDRED POUNDS over the course of the last 2-3 years. Shortly before his 39th birthday, as he was approaching 500 lbs, he realized there aren't too many "500-pound 40 year olds out there" and so he decided "enough is enough."
Now, I know what you may be thinking...he is rich and famous and money is no issue for him. This is true. Yes, there are benefits he has to being an incredibly talented singer and songwriter. But don't use your own circumstances as an excuse. Find what YOU can do, daily, to better yourself. Focus on that...not on others. In the podcast he mentions the tough moments and mentions the times where he ate stuff at night that he described as "a little bit bad" (but was actually something like a gallon of ice cream). The good thing that he did was hold himself accountable, and talk to others, and not let one setback and relapse turn back in to his 'normal.' The same goes for each of us. We aren't all going to eat perfectly or exercise perfectly, or never lose our tempers with our family or our coworkers. But we can all acknowledge the shortcoming and mistake, own it, and learn from it. You only 'lose' if you don't learn from it.
As I mentioned, I love his song "Winning Streak" and I find the message incredibly powerful. My personality tends to lead me to 'streaks', which in fact includes one that I started on January 1st, 2024: I have run or walked a mile outside every single day since then. I planned to just do it for the calendar year, but then it continued, and now it's part of my daily regimen. I know there is always 20 minutes that I could use to get the mile in, and while there have been some late night "Oh CRAP I still need a Mile" moments, I will do my best to keep this streak alive! Other current streaks in my life include: 161 consecutive Wordles, 266 consecutive months of being adjusted at least once (See? I practice what I preach at my office!), and 5 consecutive months running at least one Marathon-distance event. And, most importantly and profoundly, 825 consecutive days without drinking alcohol. Just 1 day at a time, on repeat, can lead to a quality of life you may not even be able to imagine!
Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year, and remember: Just 1 Day at a Time, and you'll never believe the changes that can happen in a Year. Here's to a happier, healthier, and more-fulfilled YOU in 2026!
No comments:
Post a Comment