Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Heading Up North

 

"I'm heading Up North."

That's, far and away, the most common answer I receive to the question, "Any plans this weekend?" and it was especially true with Memorial Day Weekend coming up.  I'd say the second most common answer is something related to kids' sports.  I know that is true for me!

 

And last Saturday was the first Saturday in a long time without anything on the calendar.  While we weren't heading up north or going to a soccer tournament or a track meet, I had to resist the urge to PUT something on the calendar.  I just wanted to "Play it by ear" and see what the weather presented, and relax!   This is something new for me, but it was enjoyable nonetheless.

 


But back to "Up North."  After asking so many people that question and receiving such a wide variety of answers, I decided to start documenting the answers.  I put up a push pin board with the question and directed the people to whom I asked the question to mark the map.  Thus far, the accompanying photo show were "Up North" is for the people of Giebler Chiropractic.  For me personally, Up North is Minocqua.  I have good friends who mark Up North as just outside of East Troy, WI.  Yes, they drive South to go Up North, and I have fond memories (and I hope to make many more!) of visiting them at their Up North Down South.

 

Another fun part of "Up North" is asking about what lake they'll be visiting.  You see, I camp on Crystal Lake when visiting Minocqua.  It's obviously not the only Crystal Lake in Wisconsin...and being a guy with an inquiring mind, I decided to look up how many other Crystal Lakes there are in our state, besides the one in Sheboygan County and the one in my "Up North" destination.  

The answer?  25.

That of course led to more 'research'.  What is the most common lake name in Wisconsin?  It's Mud Lake, coming in at 125.  Then there's also a single Muddy Lake, and Mudhole Lake, there are 3 "Little Mud Lakes", and there is also "Mud Lake Number 1" and "Mud Lake Number 2" in Forest County.  If you have a rather immature sense of humor, then you probably chuckled at the name "Mud Lake Number 2" like I did.

 


There are 42 "Lost" Lakes in Wisconsin, and unfortunately only 1 "Found" Lake.  There are 34 "Pine" Lakes and 31 "Perch" Lakes, 8 of which are in Langlade County alone!  

 

No matter where your Up North is, and no matter what lake you choose recreate on or in, may your travels this Wisconsin Summer season be safe and memorable!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment