It’s Spring in
Wisconsin, and that means it’s another reason to get outside and get
active! It also means that my least
favorite critters are out again. Ticks.
This time of year I
also thoroughly enjoy Geocaching with my kids, as it’s easy to find some of the
geocaches that haven’t been ‘hidden’ by foliage and ground cover, nor are they
buried in snow. That means that my kids
are checked thoroughly for ticks as well.
Having experienced Lyme Disease first hand, and having worked with a lot
of people who suffer from Chronic Lyme Disease, I urge you all to check
yourself thoroughly, and have a Tick Test Kit available as well (more on that
later)!
The month of May is
Lyme Disease Awareness Month, and here in Wisconsin, we ALL need to become much
more vigilant about this disease. It
continues to be on a dramatic rise, and it is not anything you want to take
lightly. Having experienced Lyme Disease
personally, and having seen it multiple times in the office in the last several
years, I can attest that it is a terrible condition. You need to do all you can to protect
yourself, your pets, and most especially…your children.
In June of 2008, while
I was working in Plymouth, I attended a nutrition seminar in Stevens
Point. (Oddly enough, it was at this seminar that Dr. Mike Schleicher first
asked me if I was interested in taking over the chiropractic office he owned in
Kiel!) Being an avid trail runner, I stopped just outside of Waupaca to go
running on a segment of the Ice Age Trail.
That trail was not
very well-kept and was very overgrown.
For most of the run, I had to duck under tree branches and my legs were
constantly brushing up against the long grass along the sides of the trail. The ‘trail’ was barely a trail.
After about a 2
hour run, I was back at my car and continuing my drive to Stevens Point. Upon arrival at my friend’s house, where I
was staying, I took a shower. In the
shower I found 4 wood ticks on me. By
the end of the day, I had found 3 more.
It was absolutely disgusting.
That night, I was
sitting on my bed and texting Ellie about my day. While doing that, I noticed a little black
bug crawling along my thumb. This one
wasn’t a wood tick. It was a deer tick,
which is much smaller, but much more likely to carry Lyme Disease.
Needless to say, I
didn’t sleep well that night. I had a
nonstop sensation of bugs crawling on me.
Imagine that!
Fast forward 3
weeks, and I was feeling really run down.
I remember finishing up a normal Friday at work and being
exhausted. I
had a headache that made my face hurt when I would move my head in any
direction. Although I rarely get
headaches, I just assumed it was no big deal, and went out for dinner that
night. During dinner with my parents at
an Irish restaurant, the headache subsided with a pint of Guinness.
Saturday morning I woke up with the same headache. And a low back ache. I'm a
chiropractor, and was only 27 years old at the time. I had never experienced low back pain until
then! Unfortunately, things continued to go downhill, and my temp continued to
climb, all the way to 102 at one point.
The worst part?
In bed Saturday night I alternated between sweating fevers in only my underwear
and shivering chills in sweatpants and a sweatshirt. Three times during the
night I woke up and changed clothes again.
Sunday morning, same old story. Headache. Stiff neck. Sore low back. No energy.
Swollen and painful lymph node in my right armpit. Something's not right. Then, it
‘clicked.’ It’s probably Lyme Disease,
but its hallmark symptom is erythema
migrans, or a bulls-eye rash, which I didn't have. Nonetheless, I knew I
needed blood work and scheduled an appointment with a doctor for Monday
afternoon.
Sunday night I drenched the sheets in sweat. I was an absolute mess, and this
was the sickest I have ever been in my life.
Monday morning I still felt like crap. Headache. Stiff back. Chills. But the
icing on the cake was provided by a glance in the mirror as I dried myself off
from the shower. There, right over my
left shoulder blade, was a big old “Bullseye Rash”.
The
last part of the diagnosis was now present. By the afternoon the rash had
become even more distinct, to the point that the doctor told me he could take a
picture of it for a textbook.
Because I try to be healthy, my immune
system reacted very strongly to the infection, and that allowed me to be able
to identify that something was seriously wrong very quickly. That made treatment much more likely to work
quickly. I was in early "Stage
One" which is best described in all the symptoms I had for those three
days. Stage Two is when it gets more serious and can start affecting one’s
heart, liver, and nervous system. I was
very fortunate to be able to “tell” that something was wrong. Lyme Disease is known as the “Great Imitator”
because the symptoms can mimic other illnesses and can vary in severity. That’s why it’s important to stay vigilant
and aware!
As I
mentioned, that was the sickest I’ve ever been.
It was terrible. I’m thankful to be better and not have to manage the
terrible symptoms of chronic Lymes. I want to do everything I can to make sure
YOU or your kids don’t have to deal with it either, so remember these common
‘first symptoms:
•
“bulls-eye” or erythema migrans (EM) rash. The rash may
appear on any area of the body and does not always take on the typical
bulls-eye form.
•
fever
•
chills
•
muscle and joint aches
•
tiredness
•
headache
•
swollen lymph nodes
Also, when it comes
to my kids, after showering, I encourage them to perform a “full body
scan.” They’re used to it. They check themselves over everywhere, and I
try to remind them every shower time, but am especially vigilant if they’ve
been out in the woods or if we’ve been camping, etc. I can tell you every birth mark they have…as
those little ticks can sometimes look a lot like a little mole.
In addition, I
highly recommend that you have one or two "Tick Testing Kits"
available. Our office carries them. They test the tick and return a 99.9%
accurate identification as to whether the tick was carrying Lyme Disease or
not. It is safe and easy to use, and
determines if the tick that you found was carrying Lyme Disease long BEFORE any
symptoms appear. As my story shows, time
is of the essence! The entire kit is
$29.99. I cannot recommend these tests
enough. In fact, I sold two of them this
morning at the office. Don’t play
wait-and-see…get the tick checked if you find one on you.
As you probably
know, I’m a very big proponent of getting outside…even when it seems Spring is
not going to arrive until it’s already summer (6 weeks to the Summer
Solstice!). It’s unhealthy to be inside
constantly, and we can’t live in fear. Not of Ticks or the coronavirus.
I used to
joke that God created Ticks so that we realized mosquito bites weren’t that bad
after all. Perhaps we now have COVID and
experienced lockdowns to get us outside more, and to realize that if we are
vigilant about checking for ticks, we can learn to be outside more often and
appreciate nature.
Just be aware—May is Lyme Disease Awareness
Month—and be vigilant for the tick not just this month, but year-round. Those little things are most prevalent from
May to August, but I've seen them every month of the year here in
Wisconsin. For more information and
photos, see www.lymedisease.org.
No comments:
Post a Comment