Disney in Florida. Spring Training in Arizona. All-Inclusive in Mexico or Punta Cana. Munising, Michigan.
One of these things is not like the others. And that would be Munising, Michigan, where the Giebler Kids spent part of their Spring Break. Such is life when I am your father! Who wants warm weather and sunshine and a sandy beach when we can head to da U. P.?
The purpose of the trip was actually to search for "Yooperlites". A ‘Yooperlite’, in short, is a special kind of fluorescent rock that you can find predominantly along the shores of Lake Superior that, as the trademarked name suggests, can glow when subjected to specific lighting conditions. Its actual name is "syenite rock rich with fluorescent sodalite", but when you can reference 'Yooper' and the Upper Peninsula, you do it.
Alas, it's late March and it's been a snowy one up there, and all the beaches where these rocks can be found are covered in several feet of snow, so it was time for Plan B, which would still involve Marquette and Munising, as I had an AirBnB reserved.
So, Thursday we skiied at Marquette Mountain under the lights. I had seen this ski resort in the summer while up in Marquette for trail runs, but to experience it in the winter, with my skiing kids, under the lights, was a profound memory. They skiied great (considering the "Midwest Snow") and we laughed and yelled "Whooopdeee!" (the name of our favorite run on the mountain) and took photos. Total Success.
The next morning, we climbed one of my favorite spots in Marquette--Sugarloaf Mountain. Upon arriving at the parking lot, there was a sign reading "Closed for Season. Enter at Your Own Risk."
Again, when I am your father, you continue past the sign.
And we were rewarded. The kids loved the hike, the weather was incredible, and upon reaching the top, we stirred up a bald eagle. Again, I just soaked in the moment with my three explorers. As we butt-slid back down the hill, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.
The next two days were spent in Munising. While we couldn't comb the beaches for glowing rocks, we did explore "Ice Formations" and Frozen Waterfalls that were truly breathtaking. Also breathtaking because the hikes to get to them were a mix of ice, deep snow, steep terrain, and a not-quite-sure approach to route finding. But again, the destinations made the journey all the more enjoyable. And the kids put up with me taking a lot of photos, and we once again had a blast butt-sliding back down the hills and back to flat ground.
Finally, on Sunday morning, we stopped at Kitch Iti Kipi on our drive home. Known as The Big Spring, it is a crystal clear, 40 feet deep spring that never freezes. It truly amazed the kids and me, and I once again can't recommend a trip to this hidden gem enough!
While photos don't do it justice, I've included a couple. Every time I go to the UP, I fall in love a little more. I encourage you all to "Say yah to da UP" sometime soon!









No comments:
Post a Comment