Friday, October 30, 2020

50 kilometers & 6 months

 Well, it had been a while. I haven’t had what I would consider a ‘successful” trail run in quite a while.

You may recall back in August, I wrote a column about my attempt at running a 100 Kilometers at Road America. The run did not go well. Several factors culminated in my decision to quit the run much earlier than planned.  Earlier this summer I also attempted a trail run in the Southern Kettle Moraine State Forest, and stopped early due to it being hot and me just not being in the right mindset to finish.
Over the last 15 years, I have really enjoyed taking part in trail events, but this year has been difficult. Almost all events have been cancelled or moved to become “virtual events” or something along those lines. My favorite all-time event is the Glacial Trail Run, which starts and ends in Greenbush and runs along the Old Wade House Trail, before joining the Ice Age Trail. There are 50 km and 50 mile distances, and this would be my 8th time running at the event. The weather and peak fall colors could not have set up a better venue for the event. Unfortunately, due to COVID limitations and permit restrictions, the only people there were the runners and the volunteers. It was definitely an odd environment but one which made me adapt my plan for the run. I carried all of the nutrition I would need in a backpack and started off at 7 a.m. last Sunday. In training for this event, I had put in several long runs varying from 23 miles all the way up to 31 miles. Today was a 50 km, or 31 mile run. I felt pretty strong and had a decent nutrition plan, and with the exception of the last two or three miles, where I was super tired, I felt good all day. In addition to that, I managed to win the event!
That had always been a goal of mine – to win my “home event” at the Glacial Trail Run. I had previously won the 50 mile event but had always wanted to win the 50k as well.  Upon finishing, I felt such relief and gratitude that the event was held and then I was able to complete it in 4 hours and 19 minutes.

As I write this article on Monday, October 12th, my legs are definitely aching! As I work, bending down or to the sides, or any small movement with my legs is accompanied by an audible groan. Looking back at the last 2 or 3 months, the training I put in was definitely challenging, and the result was definitely rewarding.

Unlike the run I did, I don't see a “Finish Line” for my new life without alcohol. I'll just take that one day at a time. That’s all we get, anyway, right?
If you want to get healthier, whether it's through exercise or nutrition or if you think maybe you do need to cut back or cut out alcohol or something else from your life, I'm here to help. I'm willing to talk about it and share what worked and what didn't work for me and perhaps we can get there together. When it comes to our own physical, mental, nutritional health...we can’t do it on Will Power alone. We need teammates in this. I’m willing to help. Feel free to give the office a call and let’s chat, or drop me an email at nwg@gieblerchiropractic.com. You can do this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment