We've all heard how Breakfast is "the most important meal of the day", but let's be honest...most of us don't have the time to make breakfast every morning! I would consider myself to be pretty healthy (most of the time), but I have to admit, I have skipped breakfast most of my life. I have recently committed myself to healthier eating habits and that includes eating breakfast daily. Those that know me, know I am not a morning person... so getting up a little earlier to prepare a healthy breakfast was a challenge, but I did it, and I know you can too!
One of my favorite breakfast recipes is Quiche cups. It sounds fancy but I promise it is SO easy. You can prepare them ahead of time for the week, and pop 1-2 cups in the microwave each morning and eat them on the go. It's a great alternative to protein shakes or cereal, and is a great source of protein.
According to Kathleen M. Zelman, MPH, RD, LD, Breakfast is linked to many health benefits, including weight control, and improved performance. Studies show that eating a healthy breakfast (as opposed to the kind containing doughnuts) can help give you:
- a more nutritionally complete diet, higher in nutrients, vitamins and minerals
- Improved concentration and performance in the classroom or the boardroom
- more strength and endurance to engage in physical activity
- lower cholesterol levels
Eating breakfast is important for everyone, but is especially so for children and adolescents. According to the American Dietetic Association, children who eat breakfast perform better in the classroom and on the playground, with better concentration, problem-solving skills, and eye-hand coordination.
Read more about the benefits of breakfast HERE
Cheese and Spinach Quiche Cups
Makes six muffin cups
75 Calories each
Ingredients:
10 ounces fresh or frozen chopped spinach
¾ cup egg or egg whites
¾ cup shredded fat free cheese
¼ cup red bell pepper, chopped
¼ cup onion, chopped
¼ cup mushrooms, chopped
hot sauce (optional)
Directions:
Oil a muffin tray. Sautee or microwave the spinach until cooked. Drain completely. Combine eggs, cheese, mushrooms, spinach and onions in a bowl. Divide evenly among the cups. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until knife inserted comes out clean. Add hot sauce to taste. Let cool, and enjoy!
You can mix up this recipe by using broccoli, tomatoes, and other vegetables. I like to make a couple batches and freeze them for later!
No comments:
Post a Comment