Even if your recent fender bender didn’t seem too serious, there’s
still a very real chance that you or your passengers may have been hurt. That’s because even the most minor car
accidents can cause hidden injuries and delayed symptoms. And while damage to your car is likely obvious
and easy to assess, evaluating damage to your body may be far more difficult. In fact, it’s not unusual for a driver or
passenger to walk away from a collision with potentially serious musculoskeletal
injuries (such as a concussion or whiplash), without knowing it. If an accident is very bad, the driver or
passenger may be checked for fractures or dislocations, but what about
everything else, from strains to sprains, to concussions or bone bruises? Our body is very good at responding to a
stressful situation by putting pain and other symptoms on the back burner.
Perhaps the most common delayed symptom is that of whiplash.
Whiplash consists of soft tissue damage
in the neck from the sudden acceleration and deceleration of the head, creating
hyperflexion and hyperextension of the neck. This can not only cause damage to the muscles,
tendons, and ligaments of your neck, it can also occasionally fracture or
dislocate vertebrae and cause any of the following symptoms to show up later:
·
Headaches
·
Reduced range of motion or difficulty moving
·
Slowed reflexes
·
Vertigo
·
Muscle spasms
·
Localized weakness or numbness
·
Stiffness in shoulders and arms
Every bit as serious as any broken bones or lacerations, a
concussion can prove to be a grave threat to your health. Quite simply, a concussion is the result of
the brain colliding with the inside of the skull from a rapid acceleration or deceleration.
Not all concussions occur because of
bumping the head. If the head is restrained in any way and the restraint
suddenly stops or suddenly jerks into motion, a concussion may occur. Symptoms of concussion include the following:
·
Headaches
·
Bad temper
·
Nausea
·
Spasms
·
Loss of balance
·
Blurred or double vision
·
Disorientation
·
Confusion
·
Amnesia
·
Ringing in the ears
·
Difficulty concentrating or reasoning
·
Anxiety or depression
·
Tiredness, sleeplessness, or other problems with
your ability to sleep
Now, I admit that a lot of these symptoms can be caused by a
variety of life’s circumstances. But, I
can speak from experience—concussions are different. Having had a couple concussions in my
football playing days, I can attest that a concussion is something
different. I remember feeling like I was
‘going through the motions’ but didn’t really know what I was doing. In fact, in one football game my senior year
(I was having a great game, having rushed for over 100 yards in the first
half), I came to the sidelines about 10 plays after making a tackle and taking
a knee to the helmet, and promptly told the coach, “I don’t know the
plays. I don’t know anything!” Needless to say, my game was over.
The key point with any of these symptoms is to know whether
or not you had them before the accident. Someone who knows you or lives with you can
help identify any changes in your behavior that may indicate a possible
concussion. If you didn't have a symptom
that you’re now experiencing, see your doctor right away.
In addition to the health consequences of car accidents with
delayed symptoms, there is also the insurance aspect to consider. Because many accident-related injuries don't
show up immediately, you may have to pay out-of-pocket for the medical expenses
from any delayed symptoms if you settle with your insurance company right away.
Therefore, consider waiting a few days
before signing any release of liability so that any delayed symptoms have an
opportunity to reveal themselves. Seeing
a chiropractor for an evaluation as soon as possible after an accident is also
a good idea, since he or she can help identify injuries that may not have been
present immediately after the accident, but instead will show up a couple days
to weeks later, and start treatment promptly. In many cases, seeking appropriate medical
care soon after an accident can improve your chances of a more complete and
more rapid recovery.
And finally, have a safe hunt, everyone. Keep an eye out for deer on the roads, and be
safe in the woods. I know Opening
Weekend is one of my favorite times of the year, even though it’s likely the only
thing I’ll shoot this weekend is an exploding target. The following week, enjoy the wonderful
holiday of Thanksgiving. Save the
shopping for later. Spend this holiday
with those who matter most---family!
No comments:
Post a Comment