Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Why Some Foods Just Make Us Feel Better


“The only emotional reward of eating healthy is the fact that you’re healthy!”
I’ve told countless people this when I discuss diet with them.  We tend to become emotionally attached to certain foods.  Unfortunately, those foods tend to be the ones that have negative effects on our health.
I’ll use myself as an example.  As I sit here and write this, I’m finishing off the last drops of a smoothie made of the following ingredients:  Kale, Spinach, Blueberries, Yogurt, and some juice.  The shake is green and the overpowering flavor is that of kale.  It’s not the greatest taste I’ve ever experienced.  But I know there are about 6 servings of fruits and veggies in this one little smoothie, and I know it’s providing my body with excellent nutrients.  Is it as delicious as the brownie that’s sitting on the counter in the insurance room?  I think we all know the answer to that.  Now, if our office continues to have some trouble with the computer network we are using…I may need to be comforted by that brownie!
There is a reason why you reach for the chocolate when you are feeling depressed.  Scientists have been studying the connection between food and mood for a number of years, and they have found that the foods we eat have a definite influence on the state of our mood.  After all, foods are essentially chemicals when broken down by the body’s digestive processes, and those chemicals all have some influence on the brain.  The neurotransmitters most responsible for mood (such as serotonin, dopamine and acetylcholine) are all affected by what we eat.
Our feelings can be affected by foods in other ways as well.  Something as simple as fluctuations in the level of our blood sugar can make a big difference mood-wise.  Low blood sugar can make you feel tired and irritable, but too much sugar at once in our bloodstream can make you hyper (anyone with kids knows this…).  Sticking to a low-glycemic diet, in which the sugars from food are released slowly into the bloodstream, can keep your mood on a more even keel.
Carbohydrates may help to boost your mood (which is why we crave "comfort foods" like macaroni and cheese).  Carbohydrates (such as those in fruits, vegetables, legumes and whole grains) assist in the production and absorption of tryptophan into the brain.  With the assistance of B-vitamins, tryptophan is important for the synthesis of serotonin, a neurotransmitter that can boost mood.  A study performed at Arizona State University found that a very low-carb diet caused feelings of fatigue and discouraged overweight subjects from exercising.  Just be sure to avoid simple carbohydrates such as foods containing refined flour and refined sugar, as they will just spike your blood sugar and cause a subsequent energy and mood crash, along with a pretty harsh inflammatory effect on your gut and overall health.  As I mentioned earlier, I’m a big proponent of avoiding refined grains and refined sugars.  Learn more at the upcoming nutrition talk.
The consumption of foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids has been shown to help ward off depression and reduce anger and irritability.  Researchers believe that omega-3s enhance the pathways of important neurotransmitters.  Study subjects who suffered from depression were found to have low levels of omega-3.  Eating fatty fish three times a week, such as sardines, mackerel, herring and salmon, can help you get a healthy dose of omega-3 fatty acid.  I know, I know…fatty fish three times a week?  Don’t worry, similar benefits have been shown with omega-3 fish oil supplementation.
Just as there are foods you should eat to improve your mood, there also foods you should avoid eating.  In addition to refined foods, you should avoid excessive consumption of foods containing caffeine, alcohol, hydrogenated oils and artificial additives.  These all have been shown to contribute to anxiety, depression, and difficulty concentrating.  When you start looking at how many calories you consume in “vegetable oils” like corn oil, refined sugars, and refined grains, it’s easy to see why these foods can overwhelm your body’s defenses and leave you weakened and depressed.
Foods high in vitamin D (leafy green vegetables, sardines, salmon) and selenium (seafood, beans, nuts, seeds, legumes, lean meat) can also boost feelings of happiness.  A little dark chocolate would not go amiss either.  Just a small amount (1.4 oz) of dark chocolate can reduce cortisol and catecholamines, the stress hormones.  Just don’t overdo it, as too much sugar can negate chocolate's beneficial effects.
I’ll be hosting another nutrition talk on May 21st at 5:30 at the Kiel Public Library.  I highly suggest you come and learn a bit more.  If you’ve been to my class previously, don’t worry.  This one is a bit different and you’ll enjoy it!  Rumor has it there may even be some food samples there.  Please call our office at 894-2399 with any questions or to sign up.

No comments:

Post a Comment