
The weather's improving...for now, anyway...and with the warmer temperatures, more and more people are getting outside and running.
Perhaps you're running just for the health benefits. Maybe you have a goal, whether it's a 5k (3.1 miles), a half marathon, or even a full marathon. No matter what reason you've decided to get more active through running, there are several crucial keys that I suggest you follow. These keys are based on my experience finishing 23 marathons, several 50 kilometer runs, and a 50 mile run in the past 5 years. Ninety-five percent of those experiences were enjoyable. As for the other five percent--well, let's just say I've learned a lot through trial and error.
First and foremost, have a goal and a plan. Don't wake up on a Saturday morning and decide you're going to run five miles if you've never run more than one mile previously. The same goes for training for a half marathon or full marathon. Most training plans for distances that long are 12-18 weeks in duration. Start planning now, and be patient with the process. In terms of the goal, be specific! Pick a particular event and mark it down on a calendar you look at often.
Secondly, share your plans with friends and family! There are a lot of advantages to verbalizing your plans. It makes you more accountable. It may inspire someone else to join you on your next run. It also keeps you working towards your goal since there will be more people following your preparation and encouraging your progress.
Finally, do as much as you can to avoid injury! I know you're thinking, "Well, no kidding!", but hear me out. There is a technique to running, and it's more involved than just putting one foot in front of another. At the office I've seen a lot of runners with injuries, and the most common mistake they make that leads to the injury is poor form. When you run, keep your cadence between 85-90 (to find your cadence, count how many steps your right foot takes in a minute). It will feel awkward at first, but trust me-it's worth it. The higher cadence will enhance your biomechanics and make you a more efficient runner. No matter what the injury is-plantar fasciitis, knee pain, low back pain-I've seen it improve with this one change to the patient's running stride.
I love helping people get healthier. If you have questions about your running program, how to get started, or a particular injury you've been dealing with, feel free to call me at 894-2399! From nutrition to training programs to running strides-I've learned a lot from that ugly five percent of my runs that I mentioned earlier, and I look forward to sharing it with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment